Tips to Prolong Your Car Battery’s Life
The first thing you should know is that a car battery’s lifespan is fixed and there’s nothing you can do to extend it beyond that. But, there are things drivers often do that cause the battery to die early. Learn how to care for your battery and be rewarded with a long battery life.
1. Limit short ridesShorts distance trips prevent your car’s battery from a full charge cycle. Over the long run, this will reduce the charge capacity of the battery and its lifespan. Instead, go for a long distance drive once a week during the weekend to give the battery a full charge it deserves.
2. Once a month routine inspectionBattery terminals corrode over time, but keeping them clean from buildup is a great way to extend the life of your car battery. Scrub the terminals with a toothbrush dipped in a baking soda and water mixture. Then, using a spray bottle with cold water, rinse the mixture off and follow up with a thorough drying with a clean cloth.
3. Don’t use electronics when idleTurn off functions like the radio or air conditioner when your engine isn’t running to put less wear and tear on your battery power. Extended periods of idling also can wear a battery down. And not to forget, don’t charge your smartphone before starting your car’s engine.
4. Keep Your Battery Tightly FastenedA battery that’s not securely fastened could end up vibrating, potentially resulting in internal damage and short circuits. Have your battery terminal checked regularly, especially if you frequently drive on bumpy roads.
5. Check your car’s alternatorIf your alternator is bad it will results in ineffective recharging of your battery and dramatically shorten your battery’s lifespan.
No matter how well you maintain your car battery, you can’t always foresee when it may die. That’s not a disaster because you can always count on CARPUT’s trusted car battery assistance if your car battery ever fails on you.